The COVID-19 crisis has turned parts of our economy upside down, and for many households, reliable paychecks may have disappeared overnight.
If you find yourself without income, what can you do to protect your home?
- Apply quickly for unemployment benefits.
- Seek out resource programs for food and other emergency assistance.
- Contact your mortgage servicer (the place that collects your monthly mortgage payment) and explain that COVID-19 has affected your ability to pay. Do not just stop sending payments.
- Call us. If you’d like to talk through your options, or have trouble contacting your servicer, please call us at NeighborWorks Home Partners, at 651-292-8710, or get started here.
- If you are a resident of Hennepin County or suburban Ramsey County, the Hennepin Homeownership Preservation Program (HHPP) and Ramsey County Homeownership Preservation Program are no longer accepting new applications. But you may still be eligible for help with HomeHelpMN COVID-19 Homeowner Assistance Fund.
- If you are a resident of Saint Paul, you may be eligible for help through the Saint Paul Homeownership Preservation Program (SPHHP).
- All homeowners, regardless of where you live in Minnesota, should visit the HomeHelpMN COVID-19 Homeowner Assistance Fund to see what help might be available.
Our homeownership advisors are HUD-certified foreclosure intervention counselors. Our services are confidential, compassionate, and free. We are here to help you navigate your options, and can help you communicate with your lender.
We can also help if your circumstances are not related to COVID-19. Don’t wait to get in touch – the sooner you start, the more options you have.
Minnesota Unemployment Insurance https://www.uimn.org/applicants/needtoknow/news-updates/covid-19.jsp
Family Housing Fund COVID-19 Resources: https://www.fhfund.org/covid19/
Federal Housing Finance Agency: https://www.fhfa.gov/Homeownersbuyer/MortgageAssistance/Pages/Coronavirus-Assistance-Information.aspx