Woodbury provides down payment assistance to make homeownership more affordable. Low-interest, deferred loans of up to $25,000 are available to buyers who have not owned a home in the past three years. Purchase prices must be $312,600 or less, and these funds can be used for single-family detached houses, townhomes, or condos. Special rates are offered to senior citizens and military veterans.
Loan Amount: The maximum loan amount is $25,000.
Eligible Use of Funds: The loan funds can be used for down payment and closing costs. The borrower cannot receive any portion of these funds as cash
Inerest Rate & Deferred Loan Term: The interest rate is below market rate and will be fixed with simple annual interest, with monthly installment payments of interest only. Borrowers aged 65 or older or who are military veterans receive a discounted rate. Payment of principal will be deferred until sale, transfer of title, when the primary mortgage is paid off, or when the property ceases to be owner-occupied. Loan term shall not exceed 30 years.
Loan Security: All loans will be secured by a mortgage in favor of the city. The loan may be secured in a subordinate lien position behind other loans. Applicant will be required to obtain title insurance on this loan for the City of Woodbury.
- First-Time Homebuyer Status: Applicant(s) must be a first-time homebuyer (a person or household that has not owned a home within the last three years).
- Debt-to-Income Ratio: Applicant “debt-to-income” ratio cannot exceed 50 percent.
- Current on Debt Payments: Applicant(s) must be current on any ongoing debt payments.
- Minimum Contribution: There must be a Minimum Contribution of 5 percent of the purchase price paid by or on behalf of the home buyer. Acceptable sources of the Minimum Contribution include: earnest money, buyer funds brought to closing and seller paid closing costs.
- Income Limit: Applicant total gross annual household income shall not exceed $95,000.
- Purchase price cannot currently exceed $312,600.
- Single family homes, townhomes, twin homes, or condominiums in the City of Woodbury to be used as the buyer’s principle place of residence.
- The first mortgage must be a prime/A-rated fixed rate mortgage loan.
- Properties may not be within the flood plain as identified by FEMA.
Loan Costs: Washington County Recording fee, title insurance, title company settlement fees, wire transfer fee and prepaid daily interest will be paid by the borrower(s) and may be paid from the Woodbury loan funds. Credit report fee will be paid by the borrower(s) at application. There is a $25 processing fee requested after the loan estimate is provided to the home owner.
Application Process: City of Woodbury is partnering with NeighborWorks Home Partners to process the loan funds. Please click the “Get Started” button to begin the process.
Disbursement Process: After receiving the application and all of the documentation listed on the Application Process Sheet, the following procedures shall apply:
- If the application meets the program requirements, the loan funds (not to exceed $25,000) will be wired to the Title Company and the Woodbury loan documents will be sent to the loan closing or title insurance company.
- The purchaser must sign the deferred loan note and mortgage at the loan closing. The loan closing or title insurance company conducting the loan closing will be responsible for recording the mortgage. Documentation of the recording must be sent to Woodbury. The purchaser will pay the filing fee.
- After the loan closing, the title company must provide Woodbury with the original signed loan documents including the Note and Closing Disclosure, the City of Woodbury Title Insurance Policy, and a copy of the first mortgage executed Closing Disclosure.
What do I need to get started?
Your loan officer will submit your application for you. Please let your loan officer know you are interested in the Woodbury First Time Home-Ownership Program.
Once your application has been received, your loan officer will contact you for any additional documents we need.