Relief for homeowners who have been impacted by COVID-19


The COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program (CHAP) is Minnesota’s response to support stable housing in the face of hardship created by COVID-19. The program provides economic support for housing-related expenses that are past due because of a COVID-19 related reason.

NeighborWorks Home Partners is one of the organizations selected to administer this program. We are able to help homeowners who are struggling to make mortgage payments.  We do not have access to funds for renters. Please call 211 to find renter resources.

If you are worried about making your mortgage payments, we also offer Foreclosure Intervention services. These are available to homeowners of any income level, regardless of whether you are eligible for the CHAP program.


Who is eligible to apply for assistance?

To qualify for housing assistance, households must meet all of the criteria listed below:
  • Be a Minnesota resident.
  • Be a homeowner with an income at or below 300% of federal poverty guidelines, with a preference for those at or below 200% of federal poverty guidelines. To see if your income qualifies, please see the FY 2020 Federal Poverty Guidelines. (PDF)
  • Have an eligible expense that was incurred after March 1, 2020 that is past due. Housing assistance funds can only be used for eligible expenses incurred between March 1, 2020 and December 30, 2020.
  • Be unable to make the payment(s) owed because of the public health emergency due to unemployment, illness, or another COVID-19 related issue.


What expenses may be eligible for assistance?

Eligible expenses are bills that must be paid in order to avoid displacement from your home. Expenses must be past their due date. Eligible expenses may include:

  • Mortgage payments (including home insurance and property taxes in certain circumstances)
  • Contract for deed payments
  • Manufactured home park lot rents
  • Manufactured home payments
  • Utility payments
  • Association fees
  • Additional housing related costs approved by Minnesota Housing


How will housing assistance payments be processed?

If a household has a qualifying expense, funds will be paid directly to the following:
  • Landlord or leasing agent for a rental unit;​
  • Servicer for a mortgage or the entity who owns the mortgage for a​ homeowner;​
  • Contract for deed vendor or seller;​
  • Utility company;
  • Manufactured home park owner; or​
  • Any other identified entity to which payment for the direct financial assistance is owed.​
Assistance cannot be paid directly to households.

How do I access this relief?

To begin an application, please call United Way’s 211 information line. Please designate NeighborWorks Home Partners as your preferred provider.

Call 211 to Start


Background: The COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program provides housing assistance to prevent homelessness and help maintain housing stability of individuals and families impacted by the public health-related emergency. The COVID-19 Housing Assistance Fund is funded with federal dollars through the Coronavirus Relief Fund, which is authorized by the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.

Get homeowner tips & NeighborWorks news. Subscribe

NeighborWorks Home Partners

NeighborWorks Home Partners’ mission is empowering individuals and communities by helping people buy, fix and keep their homes. Learn more.

651-292-8710 | Staff Directory
Main Office:
533 Dale Street N.
Saint Paul, MN 55103

Minneapolis Office:
1930 Glenwood Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55405

EIN 41-1386089

An Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer

Skip to content