Up to $20,000 to buy a home in Minneapolis or Saint Paul
If you are buying a home in selected neighborhoods of Minneapolis or Saint Paul, you may qualify for up to $20,000 in down payment assistance!
Please note: we have an extra option for buyers whose income is between 80% and 115% AMI. We were awarded 3 additional Community Keys slots under the guidelines for the 2019 program. These awards are capped at $15,000 and the property must be in the 2019 service area.
North Minneapolis: Cleveland, Folwell, Harrison, Hawthorne, Humboldt, Jordan, Lind-Bohanon, McKinley, Near North, Shingle Creek, Sumner-Glenwood Heritage Park, Victory, Webber-Camden, and Willard Hay.
St. Paul: Dayton’s Bluff, Frogtown, Midway, North End, Payne-Phalen, and Rondo.
- Buyers must have an annual income at or below 80% of Area Median Income.
- The amount of assistance is based on need, determined by income and the projected house payment.
- The home must be owner-occupied, 1-4 units, and in the program service area.
How do I apply?
Your loan officer will submit your application for you. Please allow 30 days to close from the time the application is submitted.
Program Overview: This program is designed to provide a key to help more people afford to buy their own home in North Minneapolis and St. Paul neighborhoods (see maps).
Loan Amount: Community Keys provides up to $20,000 in Down Payment and Closing Cost Assistance in two loans ($10,000 each). The two loans must be used together in equal amounts.
Eligible Use of Funds: Funds will be used for down payment and closing costs. Community Keys funds may be layered with other Down Payment Assistance Programs such as Minneapolis HOM. Funds are available on a first come/first served basis.
Interest Rate & Deferred Loan Term: One of the loans does not have any monthly payments and does not accrue interest, and is paid back when you sell the home, transfer title or no longer live in the home. The second loan has a below-market interest rate with monthly amortizing payments based on a 15 year term.
Loan Security: The loans will be secured by two mortgages in equal amounts – one in favor of Minnesota Housing Finance Agency and one in favor of NeighborWorks Home Partners.
- Qualified buyers must have an annual household income that is at or below 80% of the area median income (AMI) based on the number of occupants planning on moving in at closing. For a household of two, the limit is $60,400. View the full chart.
- Buyers must have a minimum cash investment of $1000 or 1% of the purchase price from their own verifiable funds; Gift funds, grants, or loans are not acceptable.
- Buyers must have a need for the funds based on a house payment to income ratio at or above 25%.
- Homebuyer Education: Buyers are also required to take 8 hours of homebuyer education from an approved provider or Framework (online) + 1 hour in-person pre-purchase appointment from an approved provider.
- If you are buying a duplex, triplex, or four-plex, buyers will also need to complete Landlord Education prior to closing.
- Buyers must homestead and occupy the property as their primary residence for the life of the loans.
Property Eligibility: The home must be located in one of the program neighborhoods:
North Minneapolis: Cleveland, Folwell, Harrison, Hawthorne, Humboldt, Jordan, Lind-Bohanon, McKinley, Near North, Shingle Creek, Sumner-Glenwood Heritage Park, Webber-Camden, and Willard Hay.
St. Paul: Dayton’s Bluff, Frogtown, Midway, North End, and Payne-Phalen.
Application Process: Your loan officer will submit your application for you. Please allow 30 days to close from the time the application is submitted.
Disbursement Process: If the application meets the program guidelines, the loan funds will be wired to the Title Company from NeighborWorks Home Partners. The buyer will sign the loan documents at the first mortgage loan closing.