Meet with an Approved Refinance Counselor
Our advisors can help you figure out if refinancing your home mortgage is the right move for you.
We can help you:
- Compare a proposed new mortgage with your current terms
- Decide if now is a good time to shop for a new mortgage
- Meet counseling requirements for “special” mortgages. (see below.)
Our fee for this service is $100, which will be charged when you book your appointment.
If you have received a mortgage loan through a government or nonprofit organization, you may be required to participate in Refinance Counseling with an approved agency before you can refinance or pay off the loan. Refinance Counseling is required by Minnesota state law for homeowners who are paying off certain types of mortgages considered special mortgages.
Mortgages that fall under this requirement typically have one or more of these payment terms:
- Payments that vary with your income
- Payments of principal or interest are not required, or can be defined under specified conditions
- The principal or interest is forgivable under specified conditions
- 0% interest, or an annual interest rate of two percent or less
When you meet with one of our homeownership advisors for a Refinance Counseling appointment, you’ll discuss benefits and costs of refinancing, compare your existing mortgage to the proposed new mortgage, and explore options for refinancing without paying off the special mortgage.